Monday, August 28, 2006

My "Border"



When I left California on Saturday my manic side kicked in suddenly as I cruised I-10 heading east. I had this grandiose notion I could surprise the Route 6 Art Car Tour group and drive hard enough to make it to the Nebraska-Colorado border to surprise them as they pulled up to the sign. I could see myself sitting in a lawn chair watching their jaws drop when they found me there. However, it was not to be.

My age took over and I finally had to stop in Holbrook, AZ, for the night, with MANY miles to go to meet the group at the border. While driving on Sunday I kept track of the time, and I knew the schedule for the day by looking in my official Route 6 Art Car Tour book Don prepared for everyone. I pulled into Grants, NM, found this sign at the mining museum, and found a willing person to serve as photographer after a brief workshop on composition and a couple of botched attempts as he learned to do the photo the way I could picture it in my mind. I even asked him to wait for the time display so I could show the time I thought the group would arrive at the border (time difference factored in). As it turned out, though, the group didn't make it at that time.

While cruising north of Santa Fe, NM, on I-25 much later in the afternoon I had a call from Erika who reported the group had just arrived at the border. They all greeted me in a loud yell, and, while they did that, I did a photo of the spot on I-25 where the call came in from Erika. Although the Route 6 Art Car Tour would have been a lot of fun, and I know that from doing it last year, I wouldn't trade the time with my son for anything. I'll plan to cruise with you guys the next time.........





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?